Quick search buttons for Real Ale Pubs within the CAMRA Sunderland & South Tyneside branch area
Sunderland & South Tyneside CAMRA supports over 100 pubs & clubs in the branch area serving cask ales & real cider. We also encourage any pub in the area to try selling cask ale.
The number of pubs serving cask ale at any given time is fluid as properties change landlords & ownership.
In recent years many pubs have struggled to survive, often due to “punitive” taxation & what is known as the beer tie.
In this current economic environment some local pubs face the most difficult times seen for many years. CAMRA asks anyone using this site to be our information source & keep us informed of changes to the information held on these pages. Please contact us with any pub related information.
|DATABASES of PUBS:|
Our Pub of the Year, Top 12 Pubs & CAMRA Good Beer Guide entries:
Each year a pub is chosen by our branch members to be out “Pub of the Year” or PotY.
This is actually part of a two year process:
- Each year from January to December we ask every CAMRA member (both branch member & visitor) visiting a pub in our branch area to go onto WhatPub & leave a score. This score is based on the quality of the beer served.
- At the end on each year all those scores are processed by our Pubs team into a league table list of all the real ale pubs in our area.
- We enter the top 17 to be 17 of our branch allocation in the Good Beer Guide (GBG).
- We actually get 22 allocations in the GBG (subject to a review each year) so the addition 5 entries are chosen by a sub committee set up specially from volunteers each year. We call these our “Wild cards” & are made up of 5 pubs we feel should have made the top 17.
- The following year these 22 pubs make up the ballot paper for our PotY vote. Everyone of our branch members has an opportunity to vote for 3 pubs on the ballot to be our PotY.
- First vote gets 5 points, second 3 points & third gets 1 point. The pub getting the most points is awarded the title of branch PotY for that year. We also publish a list of the first 12 pubs:
Pub of the Year "Top 12" 2019
|1st||The Ship Isis||Sunderland||2nd||2nd||5th||2nd|
|2nd||The Marine||South Shields||-3rd||-||-||-|
|3rd||The Steamboat||South Shields||1st||1st||1st||1st|
|4th||The Harbour View||Sunderland||5th||6th||6th||5th|
|5th||The Dun Cow||Sunderland||6th||4th||4th||-|
|9th||The Ivy House||Sunderland||7th||7th||8th||12th|
|11th||The Grey Horse||East Boldon||9th||12th||11th||10th|